Dr Dinesh Singhal
Principal Director & Head Department of Surgical Gastroenterology Max Super Speciality Hospital Saket, New Delhi
belongs to the pioneer generation of surgeons that has led Surgical Gastroenterology (SGE) to be the most coveted sub speciality for higher surgical training amongst young surgeons in India. Dr Dinesh Singhal is a fine surgeon of the digestive tract with an illustrious career and has been honoured with several awards by his peers for clinical & professional accomplishments. Dr Dinesh Singhal is an alumnus (1983 – 1992) of GR Medical College and associated J A Group of Hospitals,Gwalior with over 70 years of glorious traditions. From here he completed his MBBS (1988) and Masters in Surgery with Gold Medal in 1992.He then completed his senior residency (1993 – 1996), General Surgery, Safdarjung Hospital, a 2000 – bed teaching hospital – one of the largest and the busiest in Delhi. Dr Singhal then underwent postdoctoral training in Surgical Gastroenterology (SGE) at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi.
During his tenure, Dr Dinesh Singhal excelled in clinical and research work and team publications subsequently went on to receive ‘Best Paper Award’ by the institution (2007 & 2008).
He then joined Department of Surgery at Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam as Clinical Research Fellow, Hepato Pancreas & Biliary Surgery. Here he had an opportunity to work closely with luminaries in the field – Prof Obertop, Prof Gouma and Prof van Gulik. At this prestigious institution he was recognized amongst top ten percent research fellows of the department for his contributions to clinical research.
In November 2005, Dr Dinesh Singhal joined Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Delhi as consultant – a position he held for 2 years. He then moved to Pushpawati Singhania Research Institute (PSRI) for Liver, Kidney and Digestive Diseases, New Delhi to set up a specialized digestive surgery unit – a task accomplished to satisfaction of all concerned.
In December 2012, Dr Dinesh Singhal and his team were assigned to establish Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Max Superspeciality Hospital, Saket, New Delhi. Under his leadership the Department has evolved as Centre of Excellence in digestive surgery. For their contributions, Dr Singhal and his team have recently been honoured with Max Healthcare Susruta Award for Clinical Excellence for the year 2017.
Dr Dinesh Singhal has avid interest in clinical research and has several book chapters and publications high impact factor international journals such as Gastroenterology, British Journal of Surgery, JAMA Surgery and World Journal of Surgery. He is / has also been reviewer for GI Endoscopy, Gastroenterology and Indian Journal of Surgery.
Dr Singhal has made meaningful contributions in the fields of public health as well. As Principal Investigator & Convener of the committee of Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce (FICCI) – World Bank & Ministry of Labour, Government of India, 2015, his group formulated clinical pathways for 4 common general surgical procedures (cholecystectomy, appendicectomy, hernia surgery and hydrocele surgery) under the National Health Insurance Scheme. Following peer review by experts from India and National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), England, these now await approval of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
Dr Dinesh Singhal is an honest, trustworthy doctor and person. He is well respected within his own speciality and his Hospital community as a whole. He treats his patients with kindness and is honest in his opinion and conduct.
- Life Member Association of Surgeons of India
- Life member Indian Medical Association
- Member, International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- Member, American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Member Society of American Gastrointestinal & Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
Awards & Honours
- Max Healthcare ‘Group’s most promising innovation Award’ 2018.
For Emergency Laparotomy Care Protocol for Low – Middle Income Countries
- Max Healthcare ‘Susruta Award for Clinical Excellence’ 2017
- Asia Pacific Digestive Diseases Week 2008 Best Poster Award
for Management of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors: a single center experience in the pre-Imatinib era
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital Gold Medal for Best Research Paper 2008
For ‘Isolated loop pancreatic remnant drainage following pancreaticoduodenal resection’
- Recognized amongst its top ten percent research fellows by the Department of Surgery,
Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, 2004.
- Gold Medal for Best Performance for M.S. (Surgery) examination 1992
- First Prize in All India Inter Medical Essay writing competition, 1989
- Number of awards in extra – curricular activities.
International Fellowships / Training
- Minimal invasive surgery, National University Hospital, Singapore
- HPB Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherland
- Robotic Colorectal Surgery, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
- Several publications in leading international journals such as Gastroenterology, British Journal of Surgery, Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) Surgery, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, World Journal of Surgery
International Conference presentations / commitments
- SAGES Annual Meeting Baltimore, 2019
– Poster: Outcomes following colorectal surgery:A comparative study of CR- POSSUM and ACS – NSQIP Risk Calculator
– Poster: Emergency surgery for complicated large midline incisional hernias in elderly
– Poster: Double volvulus of small intestine: A rare cause of of mechanical obstruction in chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction
- 13th World Congress of International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (IHPBA), Geneva, 2018
– Poster: Choledocholithiasis (CD): The role of open common bile duct exploration (OCBDE) in the era of endoscopic retrograde cholaniopancreatography(ERCP) and laparoscopic common bile duct exploration (LCBDE)
– Poster: Management and outcomes of right sectoral bile duct injury following laparoscopic cholecystectomy
– Poster: Definitive management of postcholecystectomy controlled biliary fistula (CBF) based solely on abdominal drain tube cholangiogram (DTC)
- 5th Asia Oceania Pancreas Meeting, New Delhi, 2014
– Chair, Management of Pancreatic Cancers
- 7th Asia Pacific Digestive Week, New Delhi 2008 “Best Poster Award”
– Management of gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a single center experience in the
pre – imatinib era
– Chair, Management of Gallbladder Carcinoma
- 8th World Congress of IHPBA, Mumbai, India, 2008
– Oral presentation: Determinants of outcome following necrosectomy and closed drainage for necrotizing pancreatitis
– Poster: Is resection of extrahepatic bile ducts an essential component of radical surgery for gallbladder cancer in nonjaundiced patients?
– Poster: Inapparent carcinoma gallbladder: inapparent or inappropriately managed.
- 8th Annual Conference of the Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland, Cambridge, UK, 2004
– Post operative acute abdomen (Case presentation)
- 7th Biennial Asia – Pacific HPB conference, Chennai,India, 2003
– Oral presentation: 125 consecutive Whipple’s procedure using an isolated Roux loop
– Oral: Periampullary carcinoid tumors – clues to early clinical diagnosis
National Conference presentations / commitments
- Lecture:Hilar Cholangiocarcinoma:When to resect
Midterm Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG) Conference (Single theme: Management of GI cancers), 2016, New Delhi.
- Lecture: Landmark paper in malignant colorectal surgery
38th Annual Conference of Association of Colorectal Surgeons of India (ACRSI), 2015, New Delhi.
- Chair, Minimally invasive right hemicolectomy
38th Annual Conference ACRSI, 2015, New Delhi.
- Chair, Plenary Lecture by Professor Dirk J Gouma, Chairman, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam on ‘Management of Pancreatic Cancers’ at the 1st Indian Cancer Congress, 2013, New Delhi.
- Moderator : Pearls in laparoscopic cholecystectomy at IHPBA Indian Chapter, 2011, Bhopal. This was a single theme meeting on biliary disorders.
- Debate : Palliation of malignant hilar blocks – percutaneous is better than endoscopic at 21st National Conference of IASG, 2011,Jaipur.
- Chaired session on ‘ Management of variceal hemorrhage’ at ISG Midterm Conference at The Medicity Hospital, 2011, Gurgaon.
- Lecture: Post lapchole biliary fistula IHPBA,India Chapter 2010, New Delhi
- Panelist on Panel Discussion on ‘Enterocutaneous Fistula 70th National conference of Association of Surgeons of India (ASI), 2010, New Delhi
- Quiz Master, 20th National Conference of IASG, 2010, Hyderabad,
- Landmark Publication in Hepatobiliary Surgery at 19th National Conference of IASG, 2009,Mumbai.
- Changing paradigms in the management of liver metastases at National Surgical Update of International College of Surgeons – Indian Section,2009, Jhansi, U.P
- Peritonitis: primary, secondary or tertiary’ at the 68th National Conference of ASI, 2008, Ludhiana.
- Sentinel lymph node: useful or gimmick’ at 18th National Conference of IASG, 2008, Chennai.
- Management of Periampullary Carcinoma at 67th National Conference of ASI, 2007 Bhubaneshwar.
- Conventional surgery for GERD at 66th National Conference of ASI, 2006, Varanasi.
- Robotic GI Surgery: An evolving revolution
34th Annual Conference of MP Chapter of ASI, Gwalior, 2016.
- Standards in Pancreatic Surgery
33rd Annual Conference of MP Chapter of ASI, Gwalior, 2016.
- Laparoscopy for GI cancers
Guest lecture during 39th Fellowship course of the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (IAGES) course, 2014, New Delhi.
- Management of Post cholecystectomy Bile Duct Injury
Guest lecture during 39th Fellowship course IAGES,2014, New Delhi.
- Post cholecystectomy bile duct injury
Annual conference of Bihar Chapter of ASI, 2014, Vaishali.
- Post cholecystectomy bile duct injury
28th Annual conference of M.P chapter of ASI, 2011, Gwalior.
- Postcholecystectomy bile duct injuries
9th annual conference of Uttrakhand state Indian Medical Association (IMA), 2010, Haldwani.
- Management of Obstructive Jaundice at Medicine Update organized by Shri Ram Murti Institute of Medical Sciences, 2009, Bariely, Uttar Pradesh (U.P).
- Management of Pancreatic Carcinoma at the Silver Jubilee Conference of MP Chapter of ASI, 2008, Jabalpur.
- Surgery for Acute Pancreatitis
54th annual conference of MP state chapter of IMA, 2008,Gwalior.
- Management of postcholecystectomy bile duct injuries
23rd Annual conference of M.P chapter of ASI, 2006,Gwalior.
Best Gastroenterologist | GI Onco Surgeon in Delhi
In conclusion, Dr. Dinesh Singhal is a highly experienced and skilled Gastrointestinal Surgeon with a special interest in liver, biliary, and pancreatic surgery. With over 30 years of experience in his field, he is renowned for his attention to detail, accurate diagnoses, and empathetic approach to patient care. His commitment to staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in gastrointestinal surgery, coupled with his extensive experience, make him a leading specialist in his field. His patients appreciate his approachable nature and the quality of care he provides, making him one of the most sought-after gastrointestinal surgeons in the country.
Best GI Onco Surgeon in India, Best GI Surgeon in Delhi, Gastro Surgeon in Delhi, Surgical Gastroenterology, Dr Dinesh Singhal Gastroenterologist